Thursday, September 27, 2007

Sometimes in customer service, things aren't so bad.


An elderly man with watery blue eyes asked me if I liked origami. I replied yes, but that I wasn't very good. He laughed, pulled out the dollar bill that I had just given him back in change and proceeded to begin folding it. His adult son stood next to him, not embarrassed, but rather as a weathered spectator who had seen this happen before. The old man kept instructing me as he folded and creased his way to what turned out to be a little shirt. He winked, set it on the counter and walked off smiling with his son.


5 comments:

• Eliane • said...

This is the coolest thing EVER!!!! Did you watch carefully? Did you take notes? I need to know how to do this! Wouldn't it be just the perfect tip for the nice shampoo girl or the cute barman? Makes the tipping job a little less embarassing. Come on sister, the recipe! Spell it out!!! :)))))

Lynette said...

I agree with Eliane one hundred percent. And I love the photo that you took of it. It's perfect. Even my 81-year-old Mama's eyes (which she says just don't work like they used to) could tell exactly what she was looking out. The story of the origami shirt is so touching--you wrote it very well.

Carrie said...

beautiful, just beautiful Marie.

Dustin said...

I used to work in customer service too (a cafe) and its customers like that who make the job worth while. I hope he brightened your weekend.

Dustin
Flagstaff Daily Photo
http://flagstaffphoto.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

yeah dude. i agree with all these people that it must be learnt. how does one do this awesome thing? maybe we could figure it out sometime. i bet we could. lets do it.